Statement of Purpose
The purpose of the Kansas Psychological Association (KPA) Diversity Committee is to broaden cultural awareness and sensitivity among KPA members, along with generalizing knowledge of diversity issues to the community of psychology in Kansas. The principle of this effort is to sustain attention to diversity objectives. Our objectives include:
1. Integrating cultural sensitivity and a commitment to racial and ethnic diversity through the organizational structure of KPA and the broader community of Kansas.
2. Develop and promote diversity ideas and projects within KPA and through the greater community of Kansas.
3. Develop initiatives that support the inclusion of other forms of diversity, including but not limited to sexual orientation, spirituality, disabilities, social class, cultural heritage, nationality, age and/or gender.
4. Obtain new knowledge through research to inform KPA members and other work environments of relevant issues related to diversity.
5. Increase cultural competence through various avenues (KPA listserv, annual KPA conference, and the KPA website).
Ultimately, the KPA Diversity Committee shall consider diversity, cultural competency and related issues in every deliberation, and every decision should reflect due consideration of the impact of that decision on a diverse psychological community. These efforts should increase sensitivity and knowledge in all aspects of diversity and increase the multicultural effectiveness of practitioners, educators and policy makers.
Cultural Sites and Activities:
Kansas State Historical Society
Mid-America All-Indian Center and Keeper of the Plains Statue
Great Plains Nature Center
Wichita Jazz Festival
Wichita Symphony Orchestra
Diversity Topics and Information